Bird Watcher’s Supply & Gift Newsletter
In This Issue
Holiday Shopping/Shop Small, What’s New, Optics News, Backyard Bird Update, Field Birding Update, Our Website, Newsletter Special, Contact Information, and Money-Saving Coupon.
Click “Here” for a printable PDF version of this newsletter.
Hoilday Shopping / Shop Small
We are in the midst of a pandemic, and also the holiday shopping season, so this year especially, I encourage you to “shop small” this month. By shopping small, you support your local businesses and avoid the crowds at the big box store and malls. We continue to source more of our products locally to support crafts people and small manufacturers closer to home. We appreciate the continued support of so many of our loyal customers!
With more of us staying and working from home, more are learning to enjoy the birds and the natural world around us. It provides some tranquility and helps us cope with all that is going on. This holiday season, you may find more of those on your gift list in need of the tranquility that birds can provide. Bird watching is still a relatively inexpensive hobby and you can give someone the gift of nature in a bird feeder, bird house, or a pair of binoculars.
To encourage you to shop with us, and in celebration of 25 years of serving you, we will be offering 25% OFF ONE ENTIRE PURCHASE, except seed, suet, optics, and sale items, and only with the coupon in this newsletter until the end of the year!
We will also have select items on sale throughout the holiday season! Our shelves are well stocked with more items still arriving daily, so come in early for the best selection!
What’s New & Gift Suggestions
If you haven’t been in the store lately, you will discover many new items. Here is a sampling of the gifts that you may find when you visit:
– Locally designed, printed, and handmade Laterzees placemats, potholders, oven mitts, and cosmetic pouches, made in Georgetown!
– Wallets, purses and scarves from Shagwear with many bird designs.
– Placemat & Napkin sets, tote bags, potholders, eyeglass holders, and face masks in attractive bird prints by local Sewphisticated Handcrafts.
– New Charley Harper Jigsaw Puzzles, as well as other new puzzles, including Madd Capp poster puzzles in the shape of your favorite birds in 100, 300 , and 500 pieces!
– 2021 Wall Calendars, Engagement Calendars, and Page-A-Day Calendars.
– Seed Wreaths, Seed Houses, and Seed Ornaments, that decorate, feed and house birds as well! Some wreaths and ornaments now in nutrasaff and hot pepper to discourage squirrels!
– Maine Balsam Pillows, Sachets, and Draft Stoppers to bring the scent of the north woods into your home this holiday, and all winter long.
– Scented Candles from Vermont that add aroma therapy to your life.
– Cobane Glass, Brushkin Plant-Based, and Wild Woolies Hand-Felted Bird Ornaments are well stocked and looking forward to adorning someone’s tree this year!
– New selection of BIRD HOUSES including hand painted and estate quality houses with copper, patina, or shingled roofs. Many locally made in New England, with a recent delivery from Woody’s of Monson, MA with more Gazebo House and Feeders. Bird Houses always make great gifts!
– Squirrel Buster Suet, the newest Squirrel Buster. This feeder holds two suet cakes, which easily load without touching the suet. Woodpeckers (including the larger red-bellied woodpecker), nuthatches, titmice, etc can feed on both sides of the feeder. Like all the other Squirrel Buster Feeders, once a squirrel gets on it, it closes off the food – denying access every time! The perfect holiday gift for anyone that feeds birds – even if they already have other feeders!
– New Children’s Toys including binoculars, scopes, head lamps, kites, puppets, puzzles and games.
…and so many more great gift items for the bird lovers on your holiday list. And remember most qualify for 25% OFF with our coupon!
Binoculars and spotting scopes make special gifts for the bird or nature enthusiast on your list. We have in-store SPECIALS on select binoculars and spotting scopes in all price ranges including full-size binoculars starting under $100 and Spotting Scope & Tripod packages starting under $300!
New Swarovski NL Pure Binoculars and NEW 115mm Objective Lens for its ATX/STX scopes are now in stock!
Swarovski has a price reduction on its SCL binoculars as well as its icon EL Series. Swarovski quality for less!
Kowa has a $400 rebate on TSN-883. Price is now $2750. thru Dec 31.
Shop and compare our wide selection of binoculars and scopes to find the right one for you!
Backyard Birds Update
This year is turning out to be a great finch winter. Evening Grosbeaks are showing up at trays, platform and fly-thru feeders feeding on sunflower. Pine siskins and redpoll are mixing with goldfinches at the finch feeders, purple finches are enjoying sunflower. Juncos and tree sparrows are back, feeding on millet under the feeders.
Temperatures are dipping below freezing, so it is time to put those heating deicers in your bird bath or plug in your heated bird bath. The birds love having water vailable in the colder weather and become more dependent upon it once all fresh water sources become frozen.
Many birds will roost in your bird houses during the winter, and/or consider putting up roosting boxes or roosting pockets (small straw houses) to help birds through the cold months ahead.
Field Birding Update
Snowy Owls have been observed on Salisbury Beach State Reservation and Plum Island. Flocks of Snow Buntings have been seen as well. Migrating winter finches – evening grosbeaks, redpolls and crossbills are being seen in many locations. Pine grosbeaks and Bohemian waxwings should be looked for as well this winter.
Bufflehead and long-tailed ducks are appearing in Newburyport Harbor. Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Ducks and Mergansers are gathering in area ponds and reservoirs. Rafts of scoters and Eiders can be seen along the coast along with increasing numbers of loons and grebes. A few razorbills and murres have been spotted, and gannets can be seen diving for fish just offshore.
As the temperature drops, more Bald Eagles will be seen fishing the Merrimack River. In the meantime, keep checking the skies for a migrating Golden Eagle!
Our website has been updated with many more of our products in all categories. Check it out at: https://birdwatcherssupplyandgifts.com/ Use it to select products for curbside pick-up if you so choose.
Newsletter and Loyal Customer Special!
Because you subscribe to our newsletter, and you obviously read it if you are reading this far, we wish to offer you a special thank you with the attached coupon below.
Wishing safe and joyous Holidays to you and your family.
We hope to see you during the holiday season ahead!
Steve, Margo, Barrett, Bob, and Katrina
COUPON: For additional savings throughout the holiday shopping season, USE
THE COUPON BELOW TO SAVE $$ BEFORE THE END OF DECEMBER:
Address: 194 Route 1, Route 1 Traffic Circle, Newburyport, MA 01950
Our Website: www.birdwatcherssupplyandgifts.com
Find us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/birdwatcherssupply/
Sunday 10:00am – 3:00pm
Tuesday – Saturday – 10:00am – 5:00pm